Founded in 1922 and now with around 650 members, the Auckland Astronomical Society is one of New Zealand's largest. We are based at the Auckland Observatory and provide for all levels of interest and expertise in astronomy. We are committed to educating our members in the science of astronomy and to keeping them up-to-date with current astronomical developments and discoveries. The Society members provide voluntary support for the Stardome Observatory public programmes.
|Ordinary ($40.00) ||Family ($55.00) |
|Youth ($25.00) ||Country ($25.00) |
| All members receive a monthly journal either by post, email or both. Members receive the journal by email included with membership. An option is available for a printed and posted copy for $30.00 per annum. There are four categories of membership. The basic category is the 'Ordinary' member, 'Family' is for two or more people at the same address. 'Youth' is available to members under 18 years old. 'Country' is available to people living north of Waiwera and south of Bombay/Waiuku. Membership is for 12 months from the time of joining. |
Some of the benefits of Society membership are:
- Email astronomical news service
- An extensive borrowing library astronomical books, magazines, charts and catalogues
- Monthly lectures featuring both local and visiting speakers (2nd Monday of each month - except January)
- Telescopes for rent
- A high-quality monthly Journal that includes predictions of astronomical phenomena, notices of upcoming meetings and articles by members
- An active Junior Group (the Young Astronomers) that meets at 7.30 p.m. on the first Friday of each month
- Instruction on the use of the 50 cm Edith Winstone Blackwell Telescope
- Star parties at dark sites
- Annual Burbidge Lecture with Visiting Guest Speaker
- Sky Recognition Talks for Beginners
- Beaumont Prize for the Best Contribution by a Member in the Journal.
- Introductory Astronomy Talks suitable for beginners.
For further information about the Society, please phone Andrew Buckingham on (09) 473 5877 or email the Treasurer
| || |