- This event has passed.
Northern Star Party 2020 – Instructions and Programme- Sold Out
13/11/2020 @ 4:00 pm - 15/11/2020 @ 11:00 am
Dark Sky Weekend _ Northern Star Party – Instructions for attendees and Programme. This event is Sold Out.
Waharau Outdoor Education Centre
Waharau Regional Park
1748 E Coast Rd, Orere Point, Whakatiwa 2473.
November 13th to 15th 2020
What you must bring:
- Your own food. There is a kitchen and walk in fridge and the AAS will provide morning and afternoon tea and milk but otherwise it is BYO for food and drink. With over 50 people in attendance, keeping it simple will be the best way to ensure there’s not a mad rush in the kitchen at meal times.
- Bedding, sleeping bag, pillow, toiletries, towel etc. The dormitories have bunk beds and
- Your telescope, binoculars etc or just your eyes and, if required, power supply, preferably
battery powered. There will be telescopes available for viewing for those who don’t have a telescope.
- Warm clothes for evenings in keeping with the weather forecast!!!
- Red torch or red headlamp. Once it’s dark, white lights need to be eliminated as much as
possible (Red torches can be purchased from most supermarkets for about $20 if you want to buy one).
- Please bring a tea towel!!!!
- A cooperative attitude and willingness to lend a hand to keep the venue clean and tidy.
- Parking – If you are not staying on the site or plan on leaving early please do not park near the telescope viewing area, but near the exit road.
Please note: Dogs and other pets are prohibited from the Park.
What will be provided:
- The AAS will provide morning and afternoon tea and milk.
- Cooking utensils, pots and pans, crockery and cutlery.
- Cleaning equipment, toilet paper and rubbish bags.
- First Aid equipment.
- Hand sanitizer and some masks.
When leaving on Sunday please clean your cabin and ensure that it is left clean and tidy. Your co-operation in this will be greatly appreciated. Volunteers are needed for the final inspection clean up at 11 am Sunday – all help would be gratefully received.
Friday 13th November. Open from 4pm.
6.30pm One hour science documentary film.
Telescope viewing once dark. Another Film will be shown if cloudy.
Saturday 14h November
12 noon. Carolle Varughese speaking on what can be seen in the November Night Sky.
12.40 Chris Benton – Deep Sky objects.
1.45pm to 2.45 to Basic Astrophotography panel discussion with Robert Patterson, Gavin Logan and George Ionas.
3.00pm to 4.30 pm ASTRONZ equipment presentation during which they will display and explain how to use various telescopes and accessories.
4.35 pm. Group Photo
4.45 Telescope trail – a chance to look at telescopes that have been brought to Waharau. Saturday
Evening: once its dark Telescope viewing.
Astronomy Films will be shown should the sky become cloudy.
Sunday 15th November
11am – final clean up and inspection – volunteers needed to help with final clean up.